Applications for Front Line are now open!
Not sure of your next steps?
Front Line gives 16–25 year olds the opportunity to discover more about careers in theatre and develop key transferable skills through paid placements with our Front Of House team.
Participants will watch one of our productions, shadow various members of staff and take on important roles welcoming patrons to our theatre.
You will gain experience in the following areas:
- Box Office: Welcome customers, prepare tickets for collection and see how tickets are booked
- Join our friendly Usher team and ensure that all customers are looked after during their visit
- Front Of House Management: Shadow a Duty Manager and learn what goes into running Front Of House during a show or event
- Learn from our team of baristas in our café: serving up Workshop Coffee, unique drinks and a selection of pastries and snacks.
As well as on the job training, the programme will culminate in a CV workshop exploring the skills you have developed and how to apply them to your next steps and a networking session with industry professionals and prospective employers.
Selection Workshop: 8 or 9 February 2022
Induction Workshop: 21 February 2022
Four shifts between: 28 February 2022 – 19 March 2022
Next Steps Workshop: 21 March 2022
- This programme is designed for students or young people aged 16 - 25 looking to explore a career in theatre or hospitality
- We particularly welcome applications from anyone not in education, employment or training
- Please note you cannot apply if you have already taken part in Front Line
- We will work with each successful applicant to create a work schedule, but you must have good availability and have no holidays booked from 28 February – 19 March 2022.
How to Apply
We understand that everyone is different and we want you to apply in whichever way you feel best shows your skills and experience. There are a range of ways that you can apply with us:
- 1. Sending a short video file of yourself (no longer than two minutes in length), detailing why you are applying for this placement, why you want to work in a customer service role and how this placement will help with your next steps.
- 2. Sending a short audio file of yourself (no longer than two minutes in length), detailing why you are applying for this placement, why you want to work in a customer service role and how this placement will help with your next steps.
- 3. Completing our application form.
All participants under the age of 18 must have the consent of a parent or guardian.
All appointments are made subject to proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
The closing date for this placement is Sunday, 30 January 2022 at 11:59pm.
A selection workshop will take place on either 8 or 9 February 2022.
We actively support and encourage people from a variety of backgrounds, experiences and skill sets to join us and help shape what we do. We are particularly keen to receive applications from people of the global majority, LGBTQ+, neurodiverse and disabled candidates.
We may take positive action, in cases where candidates are equally qualified, to increase the employment of under-represented groups at The Old Vic.
In the event that we ask you to attend the theatre for a conversation and you are struggling financially, we may be able to reimburse you for any reasonable travel costs.
We partner with a range of inclusive organisations, to find out more please read our FAQs.
Read our recruitment and selection and equal opportunities FAQs here.