Responsible to Head of Finance
Contract Full-Time – Permanent (please see hours below)
Location: The Old Vic, 103 The Cut, London, SE1 8NB
Hours: Full-Time - 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday
The Old Vic offers the ability to work these flexibly under the guidelines in our New Ways of Working policy. Additional hours may be necessary in order to fulfil the requirements of the post
Salary: £38,000 to £41,200 per annum
- Flexible working and a company culture that promotes good work/life balance
- Access to mental health support
- Commitment to learning, education and development
- Complimentary tickets for you and a guest to Old Vic preview productions
- Enhanced annual leave, starting at 25 days per year, increasing by one day per year up to 30 days (plus bank holidays)
- Festive day – discretionary additional day off around Christmas to spend with loved ones
- Time to volunteer – one day per year to support a charity or project of your choosing
- Cycle 2 work scheme
- Enhanced maternity/paternity/shared parental pay
- Staff social events
The Management Accountant will:
- Assist the Head of Finance to prepare monthly profit & loss account and balance sheet for the parent company, The Old Vic Theatre Trust 2000, The Old Vic Endowment Trust, American Associates of The Old Vic and the Group consolidation
- Support the Development Team, Education & Community Team, Business Management and the Theatre Management Team.
- Assist the Head of Finance in creating, testing and regularly updating the financial controls environment across the group.
- Deliver statutory reporting submissions for the group including the quarterly VAT returns and ONS and similar information.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone seeking a varied and challenging role in a small but responsive finance team. The management accountant will also contribute to the development and continuous improvement of the finance processes and reporting.
Areas of responsibility
- Preparation of monthly management accounts for The Old Vic Theatre Trust 2000, The Old Vic Theatre Endowment Trust and American Associates of The Old Vic (AAOV)
- Preparation of month end journals, including the posting of accruals, prepayments, accrued income, deferred income and depreciation. Preparation of monthly balance sheet reconciliations for all above companies, as relevant.
- Completion of the group intercompany reconciliation on a monthly basis (P&L and Balance Sheet).
- Accounting for Fixed Assets and development of a Fixed Assets Policy.
- Assist with preparation of information for annual audit and dealing with audit queries.
- Assist as necessary with quarterly VAT returns for the OVT group, with responsibility for filing quarterly returns for the Group.
- Preparing commentary and analysis on the monthly accounts by department for Development, Education & Community, Business Management and Theatre Management in conjunction with the Head of Finance.
- Participate in budget planning, manage and coordinate budgets and forecast throughout the financial year for your stakeholders.
- Assist in update and improvement of financial controls and processes, to automate processes as far as possible and where appropriate; in particular around the purchase order process.
- Work closely with external and internal auditors as required
- Ensure compliance with all financial regulations
- Manage capital expenditure
- Maintain and improve professional knowledge as appropriate.
- Ensure that all information of confidential nature gained in the course of duty is maintained and handled appropriately.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties, commensurate with the level of the post so as to ensure the smooth running of The Old Vic, as requested by the Head of Finance
This is not an exhaustive list of duties and the Theatre's management may, at any time, allocate other tasks which are of a similar nature or level.
- Training towards CIMA or ACCA/ACA or qualified by experience.
- Proven management accounting experience in a similar role at a similar sized organisation.
- A demonstrable understanding of effective financial processes, controls and budgetary tools.
- Proven experience of using IT and accounting software, in particular spreadsheets (Excel at intermediate level).
- Experience of detailed reconciliation work.
- A solution focused approach to problem solving.
- Organised and flexible approach to workloads.
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as being able to work collaboratively.
- Demonstrable experience of building strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience of Microsoft Dynamics Business Central.
- Experience of VAT accounting.
- Experience of customer relationship management systems (such as Tessitura).
How to Apply
We understand that everyone is different and we want you to apply in whichever way you feel best shows your skills and experience. There are a range of ways that you can apply with us:
- 1. Sending a short video file of yourself (no longer than two minutes in length), detailing your experience, why you are applying for the role and what about working at The Old Vic interests you (have a look at the person specification in the job description).
- 2. Sending a short audio file of yourself (no longer than two minutes in length), detailing your experience, why you are applying for the role and what about working at The Old Vic interests you.
- 3. Completing our application form.
- 4. Uploading your CV and covering letter, explaining why you are interested in the role and working at the Old Vic.
The Old Vic has made a commitment that all applicants with disabilities who meet the essential criteria for this job will be invited to interview.
All appointments are made subject to satisfactory references and proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
The recruitment process for this role will be two stages:
- 1st stage virtual/in person conversation
- 2nd stage virtual/in person conversation
- You may be asked to complete a work based skills assessment or challenge
The closing date for this role is Monday 3 April 2023, 11.59pm. First stage conversations are likely to take place w/c 10 April 2023.
We actively support and encourage people from a variety of backgrounds, experiences and skill sets to join us and help shape what we do. We are particularly keen to receive applications from people of the global majority, LGBTQ+, neurodiverse and disabled candidates.
We may take positive action, in cases where candidates are equally qualified, to increase the employment of under-represented groups at The Old Vic.
In the event that we ask you to attend the theatre for a conversation and you are struggling financially, we may be able to reimburse you for any reasonable travel costs.
We partner with a range of inclusive organisations, to find out more please read our FAQs.
Read our recruitment and selection and equal opportunities FAQs here.
- Our teams
- Remote status
- Hybrid Remote
The Old Vic
About The Old Vic
The Old Vic is London’s independent not-for-profit theatre, a world leader in creativity and entertainment.
The Old Vic, 103 The Cut, London SE1 8NB.
Loading application form
Already working at The Old Vic?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.